Sunday, July 5, 2009

Oh, What Do You Do in the Summertime?

This was the beginning of a song we used to sing in primary when I was a child. It continues, when all the world is green? It is very green where I am because we have had so much rain. Do you fish in a stream, or lazily dream on the banks as the clouds go by? I think (do to the rain) I might be able to fish in the stream that is created by the afformentioned rain in my back yard if it did in fact contain fish but since there isn't supposed to be a stream running through my back yard there are no fish just a lot of mud that makes it undesirable to play outside. My children may find it desirable but I find the mess of mud they drag in the house not so much fun. Lazily dream, what's that. I don't have time to be lazy. My children seem to squeeze it in but I don't believe they have the attention span to lie still and watch the clouds go by. They need action, like the kind that comes attached to a wii.

Oh, what do you do in the summertime, when all the world is green? Do you swim in a pool, to keep yourself cool, my children swim in a pool at least 5 days a week. It isn't always to keep cool, they are on a swim team. I think they mostly like it and it gets them up and moving in the morning. I however have volunteered to be the swim team parent rep which requires me (by default my children) to spend at least 2 1/2 hours at the pool Monday thru Friday not including swim meets. The best part is I am getting pretty tan and I will leave it at that. Or swing in a tree up high? I think the rain explanation above fits here with I prefer my children to stay out of the yard.

Oh, what do you do in the summertime, when all the world is green? Do you march in parades, When I was little we used to decorate our bikes with crate paper and ride in the parades. It was so much fun. Once my sister even one five dollars for being best decorated or something. I miss small town parades. We were thinking of going to the 4th of July parade but (I bet you can't guess) it was raining so we skipped it. or drink lemonades, I would love to drink lemonade all the time and so would my children but it is only on special ocassions or sometimes for no reason at all but I guess that is what makes it special. or count all the stars in the sky, By the time it gets dark I am just ready for everyone to go to bed. But next week we are going on vacation and maybe without 8am swim pratice we can take time to count all the stars in the sky.

Is that what you do? So do I.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why I'm only seeing this post know but that is deffanuntly what we do in the summer time! Pluse counting the stars in the woods is much funner and takes longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoght of those small town parades and wanted to give my children the same good memories so we went to the 4th of July parade, you didn't miss anything.
    I miss the swimming pool!
    MMMMMmmm lemonade.

    ReplyDelete