Sunday, March 15, 2009

Runaway

Have you ever wanted to run away? I sometimes do. So one day my husband(who frequently travels to California on business) asks me to runaway to California for a long weekend. I must have forgotten my notion that I would like to runaway as I somewhat hesitantly agreed to go.(I guess with the agreement it isn't kidnapping) I'm not sure why I was hesitant. Maybe because I don't like to plan things in advance and this would require me to plan out some meals and schedules for the wonderfully gracious mother who had agreed to care for my children. Maybe it is because I really had no desire to go to California. Maybe it is because I worried the house would fall apart without me. Maybe I thought the children would miss me so much they would never recover.

The day of departure arrived and I left the house and no one was in tears at my ankles begging me to stay, not even my mother(It was 5am). I had managed to go to the grocery store and buy enough food to prepare 4 days worth of meals. Carpools were arranged and I was on my way. I boarded the plane and as luck would have it I was in first class so I sat back with a good book, ginger ale and sunchips. After my arrival we had a short drive from Sacramento to El Dorado Hills where hubby had to go work for the afternoon. What was I to do? A trip to the nail salon for a pedicure and foot massage might just do the trick. After an hour of pampering I returned to hubby's office and we then headed to San Francisco.

It is amazing what one can accomplish without children...

Day 2
We visited Alcatraz, shopped in Sausalito and on fisherman's Wharf, and road the Trolley

Alcatraz

On the ferry to or from Alcatraz with San Francisco in the background

In Sausalito looking across the bay to San Francisco

Looking out the front of the Trolley car the streets are like roller coasters

Day 3
We visited some San Francisco sights like the crookedest street then drove down the coast on Highway 1 to Monterey and Carmel by the Sea. Then we dove all the way to Nappa. I cannot believe the diverse terrain of California. That evening we went to a movie.

Lombard Street the crookedest in San Francisco

Monterey it was beautiful. The little black dots are surfers.

Day 4
We saw the vineyards of Nappa Valley had lunch at a little sandwich shop that gave samples of incredibly good cheeses. We then went to the Jelly Belly factory and learned all about how the Jelly Belly jelly bean is made. (I have no pictures of this because in all my planning I forgot to pack the extra camera battery.)

The time had come to return home. I arrived at the airport a bit to close for comfort but the plane was delayed so all was well. I flew home regular style (I guess I needed to ease back into life). I arrived at midnight and the house was still standing, the children were sleeping and the dishes were done. Monday was back to the ordinary the children appeared to have been fed and had been taken to their various activities. And although a few of them even mentioned they missed me they seemed to have survived without me. I shouldn't be surprised after all my mother did raise 8 children. I might just have to runaway again.

5 comments:

  1. that trip looks so wonderful! and isn't it amazing how our children survive just fine without us? sometimes too well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures of the kids! And what a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures, and the update, so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great trip. I went to San Francisco once, but not in first class and not with manicures and pedicures! I think maybe you missed out on Gheridelli Square though. I also love the pictures of your kids, they are growing so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you really know how to have a pitty party and run away in style. I so don't feel sorry for you. Your pictures are great, you are a natural photographer you know. I LOVE to see the kids!!!

    ReplyDelete